Apart from water and milk, coconut water is the only natural drink supplementing our health.
Coconut water is the liquid/juice present inside the cavity of tropical fruit coconut. This liquid is one of nature’s best gifts to the mankind. It is popular as a natural health drink worldwide because of its numerous nutrients and health promoting qualities.
Coconut water is even more refreshing and beneficial than water.
The coconut water is a sweet liquid with various nutrients like sugars, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, enzymes, amino acids, cytokine, and phyto-hormones.
From the many advantages of this refreshing drink, some of them are discussed here.
1. Promotes Weight Loss: Coconut water is low in calorie content which thus, doesn’t add fat to your body. It also consists of bio-active enzymes and is rich in fiber which helps in proper digestion of food. It further increases the fat metabolism and reduces the occurrence of acid reflux. Drinking it regularly can help in losing weight.
2. Alternative to Sports Drinks: It helps in restoring the electrolyte balance during and after sports or exercise. The excess amount of potassium present in it makes it a better drink than any sports drink which have additional chemicals and preservatives.
3. Boosts Hydration: It is not just a refreshing drink, but the hydrating properties of coconut water helps to keep the body full of essential fluids. Also, its electrolyte composition keeps the body rehydrated.
4. Lowers Blood Pressure: The composition of vitamin C, magnesium and potassium in coconut water helps to reduce the blood pressure levels. Not only this, it further helps to control hypertension.
5. Anti-Ageing Properties: Cytokines is a compound present in coconut water. It is found to have significant health benefits such as anti-ageing, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic (anti-clot formation) effects.
6. Fights Diarrhea: This drink is useful in diarrhea to replace the fluid loss from the gastrointestinal tract. The presence of sugar, amino acids, enzymes, minerals, fatty acids with low content of sodium and chlorides makes it an ideal drink.
7. Benefits Against Diabetes: Several studies has shown that coconut water can lower the blood sugar levels. Plus, it is a good source of magnesium, which can improve insulin sensitivity and decrease blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
8. Helps Kidney Function: Diets high in sodium and low in potassium puts a lot of stress on the kidneys promoting fluid retention. As a result, kidneys have to work harder to eliminate this excess water. On the other hand, potassium in coconut water, acts as a diuretic, helping the kidneys flush out water. Also the arginine in this drink increases blood circulation to kidneys.
9. Reduce Stress and Muscle Tension: Electrolytes found in coconut water like calcium and magnesium, help to reduce stress and muscle tension. Calcium help keep our heart muscle, lowering the risk of heart attacks. Secondly, magnesium helps with the formation of serotonin – feel good hormone.
10. Treats Headaches: Mostly headaches, even migraines, are triggered by low levels of magnesium. In such cases, it can be of great help as it is a rich source of magnesium. Magnesium can help reduce the frequency of migraine attacks.
11. Helpful During Pregnancy: This water helps to accelerates the growth of the fetus. It offers all nutrients to the mother, which is required for maintaining and improving health. Therefore, it provides proper growth and nourishment to the unborn baby. It improves the overall environment of growing fetus. When taken in the third-trimester, it boosts the amniotic fluid levels and enhances blood volume and circulation.
So, it would be underestimating the coconut water if you call it a refreshing drink only. It has a lot more to offer for your great health. Start drinking a healthy cup of coconut water.