Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that can positively affect your health.Chocolates have been treated as a luxury savoury for centuries. Against the popular myth, chocolates posses numerous health benefits.
Flavonoids and antioxidants are chemicals found in the cocoa seed from which chocolates are made. Flavonoids improve the cardiovascular health and lower the risk of blood clotting by reducing platelet accumulation. Antioxidants combat free radical damage and prevent the risk of cancer.
Various kind of chocolates is available in the market. So which variant is the most healthy?
It is estimated that the dark chocolates have around 60-70% of cocoa, which means more amount of flavonoids and antioxidants. They are made with a little amount of sugar and milk and contain a more significant proportion of cocoa.
Here are some additional benefits,
1. The magnesium found in this variety of chocolate improve the cardiovascular system by keeping blood vessels open and regulating the heart rate.
2. They help lower blood sugar levels by enhancing insulin sensitivity. It also helps lower the risk for type 2 diabetes.
3. Dark chocolates strengthen the power of vitamin C and prevent inflammation throughout the body.
4. Studies have shown that increased cocoa is directly related to an increase in blood flow to the brain. Research also proves that cocoa is rich in certain minerals that help ward off dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Chocolate has long been used as an aphrodisiac. Dark chocolate triggers the release of oxytocin hormone which is also called love hormone.
6. Dark chocolate helps one de-stress, relax, and produce higher levels of energy. Dark chocolate has known to beat depression and anxiety.
7. It has also been proven that people who have increased cocoa intakr shown improved cognitive skills.
8. This variety of chocolate has an excellent fat profile, the fats are most monosaturated. So people who are weight conscious can savour this chocolate guilt free.
So how much of chocolate should one have?
Remember the key is in moderation. The higher the cocoa percentage, the better.Also one should never replace healthy foods with chocolates. Chocolates should be had occasionally.