Today, organic food has become very popular worldwide. But what exactly organic food stands for?
Organic food refers to the technique of healthy way in which agricultural products are grown. This technique works without making the use of synthetic pesticides, GMOs, petroleum and sewage sludge-type fertilizers.
Organic foods often have more nutrients than their conventionally-grown counterparts. People with allergies to foods, chemicals, or preservatives often find their symptoms lessen when they consume organic foods.
How your food grows affects your mental and emotional health as well as the environment. So prefer organic food.
Benefits of Organic foods
- Foods produced organically contains fewer pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides as compared to foods produced conventionally.
- Organic food is often fresh because it doesn’t contain preservatives that make it last long.
- Organic farming is better for the environment. It helps in reducing pollution, conserve water, reduce soil erosion, increase soil fertility, and use less energy.
- Organic meat and milk are richer in certain nutrients. The levels of certain nutrients, like omega-3 fatty acids, are up to 50 percent high in organic meat and milk than in conventionally raised produce.
- Here, only natural pesticides are at use, rather than the synthetic pesticides. Natural pesticides are less toxic. So, your exposure to harmful pesticides will be lower when eating organic food products.
- Organic foods have more nontraditional nutrients, like polyphenol antioxidants. For example, organic berries appear to suppress cancer growth better than conventional berries. On the basis of its high antioxidant levels, organic produce is 20 to 40 percent healthier.
- Here, organically raised animals are not given antibiotics or growth hormone. But they have more space to move around and access to the outdoors, which help to keep them healthy.
- Organic food is GMO free (Genetically Modified Organisms). Genetically engineered (GE) foods are those whose DNA is altered in ways that cannot occur in nature. This process help in order to provide resistant to pesticides.
- Organic products generally don’t last as long as non-organic foods. This is because they don’t contain preservatives. So, consume them before they remain of no use.
- With no doubt, organic foods cost more than non-organic foods. This is due to the higher cost of organic farming, as well as their limited supplies.
Some basic and useful differences between organic and non organic foods are given below for your knowledge:
|Organic produce||Conventionally-grown produce|
|It makes use of natural fertilizers ( like manure and compost).||It makes use of synthetic or chemical fertilizers which are harmful|
|Weeds are at control naturally (by crop rotation, hand weeding, mulching, and tilling).||Weeds are at control with chemical herbicides. This again harms our health.|
|Pests are at control using natural methods (birds, insects, traps) and natural pesticides.||Pests are at control with synthetic pesticides which are doing no good to our health.|
Now, while selecting certified organic foods, choose foods that state “100% Organic” on the front of the packaging. You can go for the foods labeled as “organic”. These whole fruits and vegetables have no additional ingredients from a labeling standpoint. You should also know that frozen or canned fruits and vegetables that have been certified as organic may contain added ingredients.
We all are aware of side effects of pesticides. Children and fetuses are most vulnerable to pesticide exposure because their immune systems is in development stage. This exposure may cause developmental delays, behavioral disorders, immune system harm etc. Pesticides can be pass from mother to child in the womb, as well as through breast milk. So, organic food provide us an better option to eat healthy and stay fit. Try to opt for these foods to ensure better health of your near and dear ones.