Nature has given us so many blessings to nurture our health. One of them providing an aid to our health is wholesome beetroot.
Beetroot is a type of vegetable. For a long time, restricted to decorate salad plates only. Of late, after the discovery of its health benefits, its popularity spread. From then on, this pink food aka wholesome beetroot became well acknowledged in terms of working wonders to our health. Its sweet taste and unique shocking pink color gives it an extraordinary list of benefits. These basic properties of beetroot make it a distinct food from other plant foods.
This wholesome beetroot thus acts as a super food to supplement our health. The stock of nutrients present in beetroot provides several benefits to our overall health. Beetroot is a storehouse of various antioxidants and is rich in fiber. This vegetable is rich in vitamin K, vitamin B-6, vitamin C, thiamine, riboflavin, choline and pantothemic acid. Also, beetroot has numerous minerals as its components. Some of them are iron, potassium, selenium, manganese, copper, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and so on.
The key benefits of wholesome beetroot are listed as follows:
- Detoxification: Beetroot detoxifies our body by collecting the toxins into the colon. From here they can easily be evacuated from the body. Some researches claims that beetroot juice can stimulate red blood cell (RBC) production. This ultimately increases the blood count.
- Low in fat and calories: One of the great qualities of beetroot is that it is low in calories and fat. As it is loaded with fiber it helps to overcome constipation and maintains a healthy digestive tract.
- Heart health: The high amount of nitrates present in wholesome beetroot produces a gas called nitric oxide. This gas helps to relax and dilate the blood vessels. This action improves the blood flow and lowers the blood pressure. The beetroot juice is quite effective way to treat cardiovascular conditions and maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- Rich in antioxidants: The color of beetroot is due to the pigment- Betanin. It is a potent antioxidant. Not just this, but beetroot helps to reduce the oxidation of bad cholesterol. It also protects the artery walls and guard against various heart diseases.
- Diabetes:Though beetroot is sweet but it plays an important role to combat diabetes. The wholesome beetroot contains another antioxidant known as alpha-lipoic acid. It lower the glucose levels, increase the insulin sensitivity preventing diabetes.
- Folate, Vitamin C and other minerals: Vitamin C helps to boost immunity. It helps in the metabolism of proteins. Beetroot is rich in iron content which is an essential part of hemoglobin. This is needed for proper growth, development, and cell function. A lack of iron can cause certain type of anemia. Folate regulates the normal tissue growth important for a healthy metabolism. It is important to consume beetroot during pregnancy as it has folate. This contributes to a healthy birth weight of infant. It prevents congenital heart defects and neural tubal defects in the newborn. Manganese present in beetroot is also important for our body. A lack of manganese can result in infertility, bone malformation and weakness.
- Inflammation: Choline is a powerful nutrient present in beetroot. It helps with sleep and muscle movement. Choline also helps in the absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation.
- Dementia: Choline along with nitrate also improves the learning and memory of an individual. That is why, drinking juice of beetroot can improve blood flow to the brain. This slows the progression of dementia in older adults.
- Exercise and athletic performance:The wholesome beetroot in a form of juice improves the muscle oxygenation during exercise. This explains that increase in nitrate intake in diet can enhance exercise endurance. With this, the quality of life of people with cardiovascular or metabolic diseases can improve.
The above qualities of beet make it a wholesome beetroot. One should start adding to diet as beets contain a variety of peculiar health-boosting nutrients. Plus, they are delicious. No other vegetable can beat the qualities of beetroot.