Yoga is a discipline based on ayurveda and science dating back to 5000 years old, aims at achieving harmony between mind and body.
The sole principle of yoga practice is health and harmony. It is a form of exercise based on stretching the body which helps to provide healthy lifestyle and connectivity with the nature.
Yoga is widely popular throughout the world as there are infinite benefits of doing yoga on a daily basis. Our health should be our prime focus and the root to this good health is through yoga. There are multiple benefits that yoga offers to us like weight loss, a strong body, flexible body postures, glowing beautiful skin, stress relief, peaceful mind, improve immunity all summoning to good health.
That is why; we should inculcate yoga in our daily regime. Though there are many body postures and asanas to follow but there are some yoga postures that one should do daily instead of heavy extraneous exercise.
Best 5 yoga postures to follow are bhujangasana, dhanurasana, uttanasana, kapalbhati, anulom-vilom pranayam.
1. Bhujangasana: It is also known as the Cobra pose as the term ‘Bhujang’ means snake in Sanskrit. To perform this Asana, first you need to lie down on your belly with your both hands and legs stretched fully. Next step is to slowly raise the upper half of your body and breathe in. Then steadily get back to the original position while breathing out. This helps in strengthening the muscles, spine, arms and shoulder, improves blood circulation, and most importantly it helps to clear the passages of the heart and lungs.
2. Dhanurasana: It is also known as Bow pose as the term ‘Dhanur’ means bow in Hindi. To get this pose, you need to lie down on your stomach. Then you have to bend your knees and heels in such a way that you are able to lock the heels with your hands as shown in the picture above. Maintain this posture for as much time as you comfortably can and then relax. It improves breathing capacity of lungs benefiting in asthma. It also enhances digestion by increasing gastric secretions, and makes muscles strong.
3. Uttanasana: It is also known as Standing Forward Bend Pose. Here, you should first stand straight and then bend your arms forward and touch your ankles without bending of the knees. Maintain this position for a while to relax and then go back to normal standing posture. It helps to calm the brain and relieve stress. It helps in strengthening calves and hip by stretching. It improves digestion and help to treat asthma.
4. Kapalbhati pranayam: Kapalbhati is not just a word but has a beautiful meaning- ‘Kapal’ (forehead) and ‘Bhati’ (to shine) which is known to provide natural glow to skin. To get into the pose, sit straight with legs folded and breathe in and breathe out deeply. Repeated it as fast as possible for few minutes. It improves digestion and helps in achieving a flat tummy. It strengthens the lungs and improves breathing capacity.
5. Anulom-Vilom pranayam: For this extremely popular pose, you need to sit on the ground with your spine erect and legs folded. Then take your right hand and put one finger on your right nostril and inhale from your left nostril. Hold the breath for a few seconds and then remove the finger from right nostril and exhale. Now repeat this activity with the left nostril. It helps to cure asthma, headache and sinus infection. It clears the lung passage facilitating the better working of respiratory system.
There are many other yoga postures to follow all purposing multiple benefits that one can follow.Today, we are living a wonderful world of yoga with many benefits. Over the last decade, people from all over the globe have realized the importance of yoga asanas. Yoga fills us with positive energy and helps to rejuvenate our body. Yoga has also proved to cure several body ailments that we face on a daily basis. Yoga for half an hour daily can improve health by a flip of 180 degree!